MILLVILLE - An unattended electric dryer is being blamed for causing a fire that destroyed a home on Thayer Street Thursday afternoon.

In a press release, State Fire Marshal Peter Ostrsokey and Millville Fire Chief Ronald Landry said the cause of the fire was accidental. They said an electric dryer that was left running unattended started the fire, which drew response from more than a dozen fire departments.

Three residents were displaced.

"It is important to clean the lint filter after every load, wash the lint screen a few times a year and to vacuum the vent pipe and around the motor from time to time," Ostroskey said in a statement. "When accumulated lint clogs the vent, the dryer can overheat and a fire can result."

Firefighters said they answered a call about a structure fire at 166 Thayer St. about 3:30 p.m. and found the house engulfed in flames.

Mutual aid was requested and about 13 neighboring departments answered the call.

Firefighters said that as with most rural areas, significant water flows to accomplish extinguishment was a main concern, but that issue was overcome by drafting water from the Blackstone River.

The house was a total loss, with no injuries to any residents. One firefighter suffered a minor injury. The three occupants have been relocated.

The Colonial-style home was built in 1972 and was last assessed at $371,300, according to property records.

Thayer Street was closed for several hours during the fire and has since been reopened.

Responding units included Uxbridge, Blackstone, Mendon, Douglas, Hopedale, Sutton, Northbridge, Harrisville, North Smithfield, Oakland/Mapleville, Pascoag, Cumberland as well as Woonsocket RIT, Bellingham RIT, Providence Canteen and the Red Cross.