Superintendent Gary Maestas said he was making the move in an abundance of caution.

PLYMOUTH – Local schools will be closed for cleaning Friday in the wake of a local scare about the coronavirus.

Superintendent Gary Maestas said he was making the move in an abundance of caution. It comes after one of the local students who traveled to Milan, Italy, last month was taken to the hospital Wednesday night with flu-like symptoms.

Maestas said the 17-year-old boy was treated overnight at the hospital and was released Thursday morning. Masetas said the boy does not have the flu. He is now joining others who went on the trip in self-isolating at home through the weekend.

The district plans to disinfect all 12 schools in the district beginning Friday. Buses will be cleaned as well. Classes will resume Monday.

Rising Tide Charter Public Schools will also be closed Friday and reopen Monday.

Rising Tide Head of School Michael O’Keefe said his staff gave the school a thorough cleaning on Tuesday when the school was closed for the primary election. But like Maestas, O’Keefe said the school felt a social responsibility to work with the community and public schools on such an important issue and will spend the long weekend cleaning some more.

Both schools sent students to Italy in February.

Plymouth Public Schools sent 12 students and four chaperones to Milan in northern Italy. Rising Tide sent 22 students and three staff members to Naples and Rome in central Italy.

Rising Tide students have been home for 13 days without any students showing signs of being sick. Plymouth schools students returned Feb. 22, 12 days ago.

Local school officials reported last week that the group left 12 hours before the Italian government shut down Milan amid concerns about a coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy. Maestas said officials had no concerns about the students because the coronavirus was in communities outside Milan.

O’Keefe said health officials changed their stance on Wednesday and asked the schools to ask students to self isolate until they have been home for 14 days without symptoms.

All 25 Rising Tide students and staff and all 16 Plymouth students and chaperones stayed home Thursday. If they are well, they would be allowed to return to school Monday.

Maestas said none of the other Plymouth students or the chaperones on the trip are sick. None of the students at the host school in Milan and none of the host families for local students during their trip abroad are sick either, Maestas said.

Fire Chief Ed Bradley said paramedics used quarantine procedures to transport the student after getting a call from the sick boy’s family Wednesday night. Bradley said paramedics and the hospital were alerted about the boy’s history in advance. The ambulance was thoroughly cleaned after the run, he said.

Town officials met Thursday morning to discuss the disease and plans for preventing its spread.

Town Manager Melissa Arrighi said there are no cases in Plymouth currently and no need for alarm. She directed residents to the state Department of Public Health website for updates, saying the site is the most reliable source of information on coronavirus. The site is https://www.mass.gov/resource/information-on-the-outbreak-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19.

Arrighi said the risk to state residents remains low and advised that the best method of prevention continues to be proper hand washing and hygiene practices.

In a letter emailed to parents Thursday, Maestas asked for patience and understanding.

“We want to stress that this is being done out of an abundance of caution. In these unusual circumstances as the national picture continues to evolve, and with the strong presence of social media, we know it is easy to begin speculating and questioning," he wrote. "We ask for your patience and understanding as we continue to work at the district level to ensure that we are taking the necessary precautionary steps.”