PROVIDENCE — Rhode Island State Police are investigating after a man was struck and killed on I-95 in Providence early Thursday morning.
The man, identified as Alfonso Rodriguez, 53, of Providence, was hit by three vehicles, according to State Police Maj. Christopher J. Dicomitis, who said it doesn’t appear there were any motor vehicle violations.
The state police are trying to identify the victim and notify family members, Dicomitis said. They’re also investigating the circumstances.
The incident was reported at 4:40 a.m. It happened on I-95 North at Exit 23, according to the state Department of Transportation.
Traffic heading into Providence was snarled for hours.
The DOT announced that the crash had been cleared at about 6:50 a.m.
The Rhode Island State Police had previously advised drivers to seek alternate routes because of a “serious motor vehicle accident” that shut down two to three lanes.