Friday, Feb. 21

1:32 p.m.: Personnel responded to hazmat release investigation with no hazmat on Lexington Street. Engine 2 was in the area and noticed a slight odor of natural gas at the bridge to the Waverley T stop on Lexington. The odor is stronger going down the stairs on the outbound side of the tracks. Engine 2 checked the immediate area. Normal readings on the 4 gas. Engine 2 knocked on the door of the first floor units of 11 Lexington St. and there was no answer. National Grid was notified. Engine 2 stands by to give National Grid a face to face report.

Saturday, Feb. 22

3:15 p.m.: Personnel responded to a gas leak on Rutledge Road. Engine 2 and Car 3 responded to 170 Rutledge Road for an outside odor of natural gas. The gas grill in the backyard was hard piped with natural gas from inside the home. Engine 2 shut down the gas inside the basement, stopping the flow of gas to the grill piping the ran outside the home. The entire home was checked with a combustible gas indicator and all readings were normal. The homeowners were advised to have the piping checked by a master plumber.

Sunday, Feb. 23

12:09 p.m.: Personnel responded to a cooking fire confined to a container on Lantern Road. Engine 2 and Car 3 were dispatched from quarters for the central station alarm. While enroute to the incident Fire Alarm updated that the police were on scene and were reporting that the issue was due to food on the stove. Car 3 established Incident Command and Engine 2 entered the residence to investigate. Engine 2 confirmed the incident was due to burned food. Incident Command was terminated and both companies returned to full service.

12:45 p.m.: Personnel responded to a light ballast breakdown on Trapelo Road. A civilian came to Belmont Fire Headquarters and reported to Rescue 1 a light ballast issue with a smoke condition inside the CVS Pharmacy on Trapelo Road. Rescue 1 notified Fire Alarm via a landline and Fire Alarm dispatched all companies from quarters or the Alarm of Fire. Fire Alarm struck Box 42. On arrival Car 3 established Incident Command. Engine 1 entered the building and began the investigation. Engine 1 reported that there was a blown ballast behind the cash registers on the “Bravo” side of the building. Engine 1 directed the companies to hold up on the lines. Command directed Fire Alarm to have the Station 2 companies continue in to the scene “Code C,” no lights/no siren. Engine 1 requested an A-frame ladder from Ladder 1 in order to remove a ceiling tile and further verify that there was no smoke/fire condition. Upon confirmation of there being no smoke/fire, Command released Engine 2 and Rescue 1. Both companies returned to full service. Once the remaining companies made up, Incident Command was terminated and the All Out was ordered. Engine 1, Ladder 1 and Car 3 returned to full service.

Monday, Feb. 24

2:41 p.m.: Personnel responded to a carbon monoxide incident on Prospect Street. Personnel responded to investigate a gas alarm. Investigation revealed elevated carbon monoxide levels in a mechanical room; caused by malfunctioning equipment. The equipment was shut down and levels returned to normal. Meter readings in other parts of the building were normal throughout the incident. Facility Manager on scene made immediate equipment repair arrangements and later called to report the repairs were complete.

Tuesday, Feb. 25

8:01 a.m.: Personnel responded to a carbon monoxide incident on Lake Street. Upon arrival Engine 2 established command and investigated the inside of the dwelling with their combustible gas indicator meter. Engine 2 reported positive readings of 25ppm of CO in the basement. Car 3 arrived on scene and assumed command. Rescue 1 evaluated three occupants that were inside the dwelling and all denied any illness. Engine 2 shut down the gas boiler and shut down the gas feed to the system. The house was ventilated and normal reading was found on all floors of the house. Command requested National Grid to respond. the homeowner agreed to wait for National Grid to arrive on scene. All units returned to service and command was terminated.

Thursday, Feb. 26

12:18 p.m.: Personnel responded to a carbon monoxide detector activation with no CO on Horace Road. Engine 1 was dispatched on the air, and Car 3 was dispatched from quarters for the carbon monoxide detector activation. On arrival Car 3 established Incident Command. Engine 1 metered the building with no measurable readings found. A carbon monoxide detector in the basement was signaling a low battery alarm. The battery was replaced and continued to sound. The device was removed from service and the daughter of the homeowners was advised to have the CO detector head replaced. Incident Command was terminated and Engine 1 and Car 3 returned to full service.