QUINCY — Patrick Dillon, who takes the Red Line into Boston from Quincy Center each weekday, said as he was walking out of the station Thursday that his commute has been "pretty solid" since service on the line has returned to normal.

“As I was walking up to the T station earlier this week, two trains came in two and a half minutes,” the Quincy resident said. “That’s pretty good.”

Three and a half months after a Red Line train veered off the rails north of Quincy, causing millions of dollars of damage to key signalling equipment, the MBTA announced Wednesday that full service has resumed across the entire line.

Trains are again running on fully functioning automatic signals, with about 14 trips per hour moving through the downtown area at rush hour and about 10 per hour during midday, the standard level before the June 11 derailment disrupted the system.

MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said Wednesday that the total cost of wages, repair materials and services needed to repair the Red Line was about $5.4 million.

Incremental improvements had been made over the summer, but even when MBTA officials announced last week they determined a faulty electrical connection cracked an axle and caused the derailment, they said some delays could last into October.

The incident came about three weeks before fares for the T increased. Gov. Charlie Baker filed a bill to invest $50 million in improvements that has faltered, and the House is planning a debate this fall on transportation revenue.

"While I’m pleased Red Line service has been restored, this event underscores the level of urgency we need to continue to build a better T," MBTA General Manager Steve Poftak said in a statement. "I want to express my deepest gratitude to our customers for their patience while restoration work took place. I also want to thank our entire workforce and contractors for their efforts to work seven days a week to restore the system to normal."

Coming out of Quincy Center on Thursday, several more commuters said their trips in and out out of Boston this week have been their most efficient commutes in months.

“It’s not really an issue anymore,” Quincy resident Tristan Thomas said of delays on the Red Line. “It used to hit all the same spots — slow between JFK and North Quincy — and some days, I just took the commuter rail because I didn’t feel like bothering.”

Waiting for a bus after getting off the train, Lily Levesque, of Weymouth, said she’s no longer “avoiding the T as much I could,” which she was after the derailment in June.

“I would say I’ve seen a slight improvement,” Levesque said. “During the [derailment] issues, it would take two hours each way. Now it’s down to one and a half.”

Farther down the busway, Quincy resident Dave Doherty said his commute time has dropped from more than an hour to 50 minutes this week. He no longer has to take the commuter rail some days, he said, which was inconvenient.

“I’ve definitely noticed an improvement this week,” Doherty said. “They had pretty much had to stop at every station for 10 minutes. It just takes a little patience, that’s all you can do.”

Shaun Robinson may be reached at srobinson@patriotledger.com.