1. “EDGAR ALLAN POE—MASTER OF THE MACABRE”: Saturday, Jan. 19, 3 and 5 p.m. Jan. 19, Gore Place, 52 Gore St. For ages 16 and older. Cost: $17; $12 for members; $10 for students with ID. For information: http://goreplace.org. For tickets: poe-gore.bpt.me. Literary historian Rob Velella presents readings, biographical details and dark humor of Edgar Allan Poe.
2. BREAKFAST TIME AT THE POST: Sunday, Jan. 20, 8:30-11 a.m., Sullivan VFW Post 10334, 623 Trapelo Road. A full breakfast of eggs cooked to order and homemade Belgian waffle with all the extras, for a small donation to help the Post assist veterans.
3. ARCHERY AT THE MUSEUM: Sunday, Jan. 27, 10:45 a.m. to 2:20 p.m., Charles River Museum of Industry and Innovation, 154 Moody St., Waltham. Cost: $20 class enrollment; $5 spectator fee. For information or to register: onthemarkarchery.com/crmii. An archery range will be set up inside the museum’s 1901 Engine House. Certified instructors will teach the fundamentals of recurve shooting in small group classes in 30 minute accelerated sessions. All equipment is provided. Features a high score tournament raffle for a chance to win prizes.
4. GORE PLACE BOOK SALE:10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Friday, Jan. 19 through Feb. 2, Gore Place, 52 Gore St. For information: goreplace.org. $1 paperback and $2 and up for hardcover. The sale takes place in the Metz Room of the 1806 Gore Place mansion.
5. BINGO: 6:45 p.m. Fridays, Our Lady’s Academy, 920 Trapelo Road. Doors open at 5 p.m. Progressive prize is $3,000. Gaming includes 50/50, raffle and pull tab. Full concessions include free tea and coffee. For information: facebook.com/olcabingo.