Fire officials say a candle likely started a two-alarm fire at a Billerica firefighter’s home last week, prompting assistance from Tewksbury and Burlington firefighters.

 

Fire officials say a candle likely started a two-alarm fire at a Billerica firefighter’s home last week, prompting assistance from Tewksbury and Burlington firefighters.

Fire Capt. Rick Burtt said no one was injured in the fire, but the house was declared a total loss, after flames destroyed a bedroom and the rest of the house sustained heavy smoke damage.

The fire was reported shortly before 4 a.m. Wednesday, May 30, at Firefighter John McLaughlin’s single story, ranch-style house at 27 Elizabeth Road.

Burtt said McLaughlin was not at home at the time, but McLaughlin’s wife, two children and a pet dog escaped the fire without difficulty.

He said McLaughlin was contacted but was unable to arrive at the scene until after the fire was extinguished.

The fire officially remains under investigation. An initial cost estimate of the damage was not immediately available. Burtt said McLaughlin and his family are staying with relatives.

 McLaughlin could not be reached for comment.