WEYMOUTH — A firefighter was injured and residents in 11 apartments were left temporarily homeless when a candle burning in a kitchen started a fire at an apartment complex on Friday.
The injured firefighter was taken to South Shore Hospital with minor injuries and released soon after.
Weymouth Fire Chief Keith Stark said property damage may exceed $200,000 at Gaslight Village Apartments, off Route 18.
The Weymouth Fire Department received a call reporting a blaze at 129 Gaslight Drive just after noon Friday. Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire in a third floor apartment, and opened windows to ventilate and extinguished the fire, officials said.
The fire was contained to the kitchen of the unit, but 10 other units were damaged by smoke.
All occupants of the building got out safely and The Red Cross was on scene to help the displaced residents.
“Building and Health Officials will determine when the building is safe to re-occupy,” Stark said in a statement.
Firefighters from Braintree, Randolph and Quincy assisted.
A professional cleaning company was at the site on Saturday.
Gaslight Village management could not be reached Sunday for an update on when residents will be able to return to their homes.
Candles start an estimated 8,700 home structure fires each year, according to the Quincy-based National Fire Prevention Association. Those fires cause an average 82 deaths, 800 injuries and $295 million in direct property damage.
Stark recommended using battery-operated candles as a safer alternative to traditional candles.