A 22-year-old man charged with shooting an attendant at Rooney's Gas Station on Wednesday night is behind bars.

WEYMOUTH — A 22-year-old man accused of shooting a gas station clerk during an attempted robbery was held without bail following his arraignment in Quincy District Court on Thursday.

Christopher M. Tanguay, 22, of 79 Park Ave. West, Weymouth, is charged with shooting a 24-year-old Weymouth man who was working at Rooney's Gas Station, 686 Main St., Weymouth, on Wednesday night as he demanded cash.

The victim's father said Thursday morning his son had surgery to the remove a .380-caliber bullet from his shoulder and is recovering at South Shore Hospital.

Tanguay will return to court on Feb. 21 for hearing to determine whether he is a danger to the public. He could receive bail at that time.

The victim told police he was working behind the counter at Rooney's Gas Station around 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday when he saw a white man wearing a blue mask, a black hat, a hoodie and Carhartt-style jacket approaching the store, according to a police report made public following the arraignment.

The victim ran to lock the door as Tanguay started pushing against it, demanding he open it. He said Tanguay flashed a black pistol and fired three to four shots, striking the victim in the right shoulder, the police report stated. Police found one .380 shell casing and two live rounds on the floor of the gas station, according to the report.

Police said Tanguay admitted to shooting through the door of Rooney's Gas Station several times, but said he didn't know if the clerk was shot, the police report states. Tanguay told police he was trying to rob the store.

Tanguay was unable to steal any cash or items and took off before police arrived, the report said. When police arrived, a witness told officers the shooter ran into the woods across the street from the gas station, according to the report.

Several minutes later police found Tanguay hiding in the woods near his home off of Park Avenue West. He was out of breath as if he had been running and covered in leaves and mud with scrapes on his hands and left knee, according to the report. Police said he was also missing a shoe.

A Weymouth police dog later found a shoe matching the one Tanguay was wearing in swamp in the woods near Rooney's Gas Station.

Police found a .380-caliber ammunition magazine, a bag containing ammunition and a black knife in Tanguay's pockets but found no gun after an hour-long search of the wooded area using two police dogs.

Tanguay initially was uncooperative with police and told officers, "you should have shot me."

Tanguay was charged with attempted masked robbery, armed assault to murder, assault and battery by discharging a firearm, assault and battery with a gun, possession of ammunition without a license and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.