Friday, Sept. 1

9:56 a.m.: An inside odor of natural gas was reported on Leonard Street. A slight unknown odor was reported by firefighters, but normal readings were displayed by their instruments.

1:45 p.m.: All companies were dispatched to a house fire on Choate Road. Upon arrival, heavy fire showed from one side of the house with extension to the second floor and attic. All occupants were evacuated prior to arrival, but neighborhood residents reported that a dog was still inside on the second floor. After a sweep of the floor, it was reported that the dog had safely exited the house. No fire was noted on the first floor. One member of the rescue company was injured and assisted in exiting the building. Ambulance paramedics on the scene transported one to the hospital. Mutual aid from Arlington and Cambridge was requested to the scene for manpower. Heavy fire was noted from the exterior of the roof on the affected side. Watertown deputy assisted with interior operations. The fire was extinguished and companies performed overhaul operations. At 6:06 p.m., Belmont companies were released from the scene. According to Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Haley, the origin of the fire was determined to be careless storage of rags soaked in the oil-based stain which lead to heating and eventual spontaneous combustion. Haley later confirmed on Sept. 5 that the sun would have been directly shining on that area at that time of day, which would have accelerated the spontaneous combustion process.

Saturday, Sept. 2

5:29 p.m.: An outside odor smoke was reported on Warwick Road. The smoke was determined to be from a barbecue.

10:18 p.m.: A motor vehicle accident was reported with injuries.

Monday, Sept. 4

1:36 a.m.: One unit was dispatched to a family dwelling on Fairview Avenue where a resident there stated he was unable to turn the fan off for his microwave, which would not turn off. E1 unplugged the microwave and informed the resident to call his landlord.

2:59 p.m.: A grass fire was found in a field near Concord Avenue. E2 used about 400 gallons of water to extinguish the 20-by-20-yard fire. Homemade fireworks were found in the area of the fire.

5:36 p.m.: Burned food on Acorn Park Drive activated a fire alarm.

7:38 p.m.: An odor of natural gas was reported on Payson Road. No reading were found in the area, and neighborhood residents stated this odor was an ongoing problem.

Wednesday, Sept. 6

8:51 p.m.: An overpressure rupture of a steam boiler was reported at a school on Waterhouse Road. The boiler was shut down.

Thursday, Sept. 7

6:38 p.m.: A bus emanating abnormal amounts of smoke was reported on Belmont Street. E1 crew found mechanical damage in the engine compartment resulting in fluid disbursement. Speedy-dry was applied to fluids in the roadway while companies waited for the bus to be towed.